I promised Brandi I would post photos and the recipe. 🙂 Adapted from a Cooking Light recipe.
EASY CHICKEN ALFREDO LASAGNA.
1 box whole wheat lasagna (I used Gia Russa Egg Lasagna… really good-tasting whole wheat lasagna with NO BOILING necessary)
3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
10 oz box of chopped spinach, defrosted and drained well
1 cup jarred roasted red sweet peppers, drained and chopped
1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
20 oz reduced-fat Alfredo sauce (they recommend refrigerated but my store didn’t have it, so I ended up with some "light" Ragu alfredo… not toooo bad)
3/4 cup italian cheese blend (I used Kraft 2% variety)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
1. If you’re using regular lasagna noodles, you will want to cook them as the package directs. Set aside.
2. Saute about 2 lbs of chicken breasts in a tablespoon of olive oil, seasoning with some salt and pepper and whatever other herbs inspire you. Let cool and then chop into chunks.
2. (optional) Saute mushrooms and spinach and red peppers on medium high until mushrooms look less raw. You can even brown them a little if you want. (I just don’t like the raw mushroom texture, but you can omit this step or leave out mushrooms entirely.)
3. In a large bowl mix spinach, red peppers, mushrooms, chicken, alfredo sauce, black pepper and lemon juice.
4. In a 13" X 9" glass or ceramic baking dish lay out the lasagna noodles 3 or 4 at a time to form the bottom layer. Spread a third of the chicken mixture on top of these noodles. Layer 3-4 more noodles, then more chicken mixture, repeating until your noodles and filling are gone. My top layer was noodle, so I took some of the leftover Alfredo sauce and spread on top before baking.
5. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 45-55 minutes. Remove foil and cover with cheese, spray with cooking spray (preferably the olive oil kind), and bake 5 more minutes, or until cheese is melted, browned and pretty like the picture. Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes, or it’ll be impossible to cut.
Makes about 9 servings.
Tagged: , 2008 , food , recipe , plate , lasagna , chicken , cooking light , 50mm f/1.4